Friday, November 5, 2010

Reference Photos

Most of the paintings I put on this blog have been my landscapes, but I do want it to be known that I am working on two bodies of work at the same time. The other is figurative. I was inspired to do figure painting after many trips to the bars with my friends on Friday nights. I find the way bar lighting is cast upon people to be very attractive. Most the light in the bar is from neon signs on the wall and windows; there is rarely an actual traditional light fixture on in this place. Anyways, I really dig that, and have been working on some acrylic paintings based off pictures I take in bars or bar-like settings. Here's a few reference pictures to ones I'm working on. Check back later when I have some actual paintings uploaded.

My buddy "Tip Top" Tommy Steele


Yep, these 2 are of me.

I don't know if this is really relevant, but a lot of the time when I'm working on these types of paintings, I have a couple specific songs playing either in my head or on the stereo. They're both by David Bowie, from his album Young Americans. I suppose really the whole album is suitable for listening to when I work, but the following two songs in particular really do it for me:
Fascination

Right

I think when I listen to these songs, it puts me in a different mood and for some reason it makes my brush strokes a lot more confident.

No comments:

Post a Comment