Monday, March 21, 2011

BFA Senior Thesis Exhibition

I have 4 paintings in the Bachelor of Fine Arts Senior Thesis Exhibition at BGSU! They are hanging in the Willard Wankelman Gallery. The opening reception was last Saturday and it was packed! I'm pretty happy with the outcome. Here's some photos:

Me in front of my display


The largest of my paintings, Reynolds


Uptown, perhaps my favorite


Westgate

My current artist statement, pertaining to this series of paintings:

"A visual artist can serve a number of roles, some of which are unintentional: one who envisions the intangible, an instigator, an observer, or a recorder, to name a few. I’m not sure if I am any or all of the above, because painting for me is a means of expressing my impression of a place. Interpretations of my work, or any artist’s, can be as varied as the differences between one individual and another.

Urban sprawl, industrial decay, suburbanization, light pollution, and the menagerie of manmade and natural elements in an environment are the vocabulary for my paintings. I choose to render familiar places such as strip malls and city streets in a manner that is abstracted, yet unmistakable. These common places are often overlooked and underappreciated, but they compromise a large part of modern American society’s identity. My choice of subject matter are these familiar things that perhaps constitute, at least in some subtle way, a part of my collective self. My paintings are all self-portraits within varying degree, as they all contain my vision, impression, or expression of the people, places, feelings, and events that have occurred in my life."


The exhibition will be open until April 3, and there's a lot of talented artists displaying this year, so check it out if you're into that sort of thing!

As for what I'm currently working on, I have several paintings and an illustration I've been tooling around with, expect to see some of that up here within a few days. Have a new series of photographs I plan on using as references for upcoming paintings. Here's one!


2 comments:

  1. I'm really excited to see where your work goes next! I'm a fan! I hope you know that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a bunch pal! I appreciate that big time!

    ReplyDelete